Online Ground School and Part 141 Instruction.
Votes
Open
Do I need to take ground school from the same Part 141 school I select for flight instruction in order to take advantage of the reduced flight hours for PPL and Commercial?

Or can I take online ground school from any 141 (or possibly a 61)  in order to take FAA Written Test? and then do all instruction through a 141.
4 Replies
Votes
Basically, yes, you have to do all the training (flight and ground) with that 141 school.  If you have previous non-141 ground training, the school can give you credit for up to 25% of the ground training requirements if you pass a written test given by the school, but you still have to do the other 75%.  If you took ground training from another 141 school, the credit can be up to 50%.  The only exception would be if the school has a specially approved training course for flight training only, but I've never seen one which did.
Votes
Thanks for this info.  Let me dive deeper with another scenario.

You get PPL/Instrument Rating through a part 61 school, then decide to go commercial via part 141.  Are you only required the 190 flight hours since you're going for a new type of license, or are you again at the mercy of transferring reduced credit from the hours you spent towards your PPL.

Thanks in advance.
Votes
A Part 141 CP-ASEL course is at least 120 hours of flying and 35 hours of ground training regardless of where you got your Private Certificate and Instrument rating or what your total time is upon enrollment.   That 190 hours figure is the absolute minimum flight hours zero-to-CP-ASEL-IA if you do all three courses under Part 141and complete each in the minimum time (PP 35, IR 35, CP 120).
Votes
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the breakdown. Makes sense 🛫🤘🏼