Foreign Training For FAA Licences

Hi Everyone,

Im from the UK.

I have a UK PPL/A and TT aprox 5,000, Night, IMC, Multi.

I have visited the US many many times, and did all my hour building here years ago.

Right, this is what I want to do: I/R, Commercial, CFI and ATP. 

Q: Do I have to go to an approved flight school?

I'm going to Texas in July and want to get as much done as possible.


5 Replies
1407 Posts

No.  You can get the required training for IR and CP from an FAA-licensed CFI-ASE.  There is no requirement to go to a Part 141-approved flight school.  That said, you may have to go to at least a Part 61 flight school to find the airplanes you need for that training and practical test.

For CFI, you'll have to get at least flight training and an endorsement for both flight proficiency and the fundamentals of instruction from a CFI.  That can be anything from an individual CFI to a full-blown Part 141 program.  There is no endorsement required for the two CFI writtens (Airplane and Fundamentals of Instruction), although you'll do better with some training for them – there are numerous on-line programs available.

There is no requirement for training for the ATP-SE written or practical tests, although you probably won't fare well on either without appropriate training, but again, it doesn't have to be Part 141-certified.  There are many ways to get that training, especially the knowledge training.  And keep in mind that you're going to need a complex plane for the CFI-ASE checkride.

The ATP-ME written test requires “a graduation certificate for the airline transport pilot certification training program specified in § 61.156”.  You can find those programs searching online.  And again, you're probably going to have to go to a flight school of some kind to get the ME airplane for the practical test, and they aren't going to let you have it without taking training in it with them.


Ronald, I really appreciate all the Information you have kindly given, regards Shaun 


As I understand, training in US registered airplanes or US facility is also regulated by a separate entity than the FAA; DHS/TSA has this regulatory jurisdiction: 

Training for what the DHS/TSA defines as Initial, Instrument, Multi-engine fits into their Category 3.  Depending on what this authority is requiring you to submit for training (such as a proof of immigration status), it may put you in a position where you have to seek certain paperwork from “approved” entitles that are able to issue such paperwork.

1407 Posts

Hirokazu is right – if Shaun is a British subject, he's going to have to do the full DHS/TSA process to gain approval to train here.  Quite a few flight schools in the USA have already set up programs for non-US trainees – poke around and you'll probably find one able to assist you with that process.