FCC regulatory question concerning aviation band handheld transmitter use
Dear AOPA:  What station and/or operator licenses are required by the FCC for a CFI to transmit (legally) using a handheld transceiver over aviation frequencies to communicate with their student in the pattern?   The CFI would be on the ground and outside of any aircraft.
1 Replies
1080 Posts
By the FCC book, the CFI would need an aeronautical ground station license for the specific location and radio being used.  No operator certificate required,

That said, I've never heard of the FCC bothering or even noticing anyone doing that, and the FAA would tell you it's not their department,