Find an RI for student pilot certificate
Answered By AOPA
I just completed the online application for the student pilot certificate through IACRA.  The faa literature says that I must now meet with a Recommending Instructor to complete the process, but gives no guidance on how I can make that happen.

I assume I need to find one and set this up myself, but I can't seem to find a directory of them.  They don't seem to be listed in the FAAs Designe Locator app.  Is this just any CFI or am I looking for someone with specific credentials?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

3 Replies
AOPA Staff Answer
Hi Seth,

Any CFI will work for the purposes of processing a student pilot certificate. The easiest option would be to go to your local flight school, preferably the one you'll be training at.

AOPA has a flight school finder located here.

Another option would be to find a independent flight instructor near you. Here's the flight instructor search engine that the National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI) has put together; Instructair . That site allows you to narrow your search down considerably, and should help you find an instructor if you don't have any schools close to you.

great!  Thank you!
1154 Posts
Yes, just any old CFI will do as long as they know how to do it (not all do).