How can I obtain financing for a flying club aircraft?
Votes
Answered By AOPA
How can I obtain financing for a flying club aircraft?
3 Replies
Votes
AOPA Staff Answer
Contact AOPA Finance at https://finance.aopa.org/flying-club-finance or call 800.627.5263
Votes
No, really.  How have you other members gotten the funds to acquire a plane?  AOPA had led me and my club to a small bank, but they'll only lend 60% LTV.  How'd you all come up with the other 40%?  
Votes
When we formed the Michigan Flyers in 1969, we were a bunch of college students without funds.  We started by arranging a cut-rate rental deal with a local FBO, and after a year, had the money to work out a lease deal (non-capital -- no money down other than first/last month's payments) with another FBO, initially for two C-150's.  We generated enough money operating those planes for a down payment on one of the 150's, continuing to lease the other and adding a a 180 Cherokee for instrument training and XC flying.  Soon we had enough to make a down payment on the second 150, and keep leasing the Cherokee.  The club continued to plough back its revenue into ownership this way, and 50 years later, owns and operates 10 airplanes.

Other clubs have formed with more financially established members buying shares in the club to create the capital to buy aircraft.  Also, see AOPA's page on starting a club, including contact information for more advice.